Sunday, June 12, 2011

Hostas for Haiti

Getting ready for "Hostas for Haiti" on Saturday, July 2nd.

I'll be in Haiti again this week, with a long to-do list.  A couple months ago I spent a week with the folks developing water systems in Haiti. This time I'll travel with yet another development worker to more rural villages on La Gonave. Learning, learning, learning.  I'll meet with the principal of the school where we had intended to feed kids this past year (had our supplies not been held up in customs for seven months). I'll be at the hospital, meet with Anse-a-Galet's village mayor, and connect with the director of a local micro-loan bank.  I'll deliver broods of chickens to several families, inspect some of the water filtration systems we've placed during previous trips down, deliver the first installment of banana plants, and look at some of the household latrines we are funding the construction of.

Stacy Oldenberg will be going with me.  He will be leading the team of teachers going down to the island in October and he is paving the way for that.  Very exciting stuff.  More about that later.

I am resolved to solve the communication piece.  Communicating to you directly from these rural villages will be a big step for me.  I WILL FIGURE THIS OUT.  As of today, I am on Twitter (Lord help us all) and will put it to the test in Haiti this week.  I'll also try to blog from down there.

Upcoming Starfysh fundraising/awareness events.  Mark your calendars!...

Saturday, July 2nd 9AM-Noon - Hostas for Haiti.  Buy hostas right out of my yard (believe me, I've got plenty). All hosta sale proceeds go to help us do very cool things in Haiti.

Friday, August 12th - 1st Annual Starfysh Golf Scramble and Banquet  Thorneapple Pointe Golf Course.  Tee Off Shotgun Start 12:30, Awards Banquet 6PM.  Great Prizes. Great Fun.  Put together a foursome and join us!

Saturday, August 27th - Grand Rapids Mud Run. A 5-K run (walk, crawl).  Join me and Team Starfysh as we have fun and raise awareness for Starfysh and the needs in Haiti.

More from Haiti,
Steve

No comments: