Sunday, May 15, 2011

Of Romans and Woodpeckers



We're having a good bird year around our house this year. Lots of variety. Lots of numbers. Lots of color. Today I had the rare opportunity to see a pileated woodpecker fairly close up. Seeing him from the window of our house I figured it might be possible to sneak up on him. Keeping a big tree between me and him I was able to get within about fifteen feet from him as he worked over a soft log nestled among the trilliums down near the creek. It is times like this that I wish I had a big telephoto lens.

Pileateds are the largest of the woodpeckers, growing to about 18 inches tall. Woody Woodpecker was a pileated. A pileus was one of those felt skull caps worn by the early Romans. Another fun fact you can use to astound your friends.
Glad I can be of help.
Steve

No comments: