Sunday, April 24, 2011

Great Expectations

Waiting is hard. From red lights to pregnancies most of us are let's-get-on-with-it type creatures. And when it comes to impatience... I am the chiefest of sinners.

I strained hard today to see if they were coming up. But hard as I looked, I could find no signs of emergence just yet... no shoots, no cracks in last year's mulch. Ironic, don't you think, that my Great Expectations hostas are among the latest of my hostas to emerge? I know they're in there, those shoots of cells... multiplying and arranging just so. But I want to see. It would be so fun to see.

But, hard as it is, waiting is good. If hope is the "expectation of something good" then I have lots of that. Something really really good is just around the corner, just out of sight.

*Note: you can zoom in on the picture by clicking on it. Zoom away... all you'll see is mulch.

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. Heb. 11:1

2 comments:

Kris Thede said...

Working in Haiti should help you learn to wait a bit better. Thanks for all you do.

Steve said...

Yes. Waiting is a survival skill for work in Haiti, that's for sure. (I think "hurry" is a Western scourge that I've succumbed to. Pray for healing). :)